Saturday, December 3, 2011

Competition

Competition in our society , well from my point of view is school based as in sports schools are always striving to beat each other out by winning the biggest baddest awards like the Metro League and the CIF's.  We are taught at a very young age to be competitive consciously and unconsciously. We compete even when we don't think about it  we compete for the best parking , hair , personality , jokes , jobs , seats at a show and even the best criticism. Some people will depend their social lives on competition so much that it affects them and their families , competition becomes unhealthy the minute you compete for something unnecessary  like when black Friday shoppers beat each other up for trampolines. Of coarse competition isn't always bad , healthy competition is competing for simple things with out major desire like competing with other high school students to get the best grades is typical maybe even natural. When I was in seventh grade my p.e teacher  Mr. Villaescusa said we had to do 8 hours of community service and those who exceeded the 8 hours would be rewarded , of coarse every one was curious to find out what the reward was. Sadly , not every one pulled through with their "Oh I'm gonna win the prize, how much do you want to bet?" , but I did . I did 16 hours of community service hours at the Qualcomm Stadium for the victims of the 2007 wild fires. I wasn't expecting a prize or anything really my real prize was helping those who needed support and help in their time of distress, my prize was a banana laffy taffy and my teacher kept my essay and pictures as a student example for as long as he teaches, that made me really proud and and opened my eyes that competition  isn't always bad.         

No comments:

Post a Comment