Saturday, December 3, 2011

Red

  Mr. Banks is sitting on a bench at St. West park  ,  he had been blind since he was born and he had a guide dog named Vincent but Vincent waited for Mr. Banks in another life. I noticed Mr. Banks had a face I had never  seen him wear as I walked by him , I would have kept on walking home but I ached to know why he wore that face.
  " Hello Mr. banks." I said as I raised his aged hands towards my face. He immediately knew who I was because he smiled and called me "Miss" , he never called any one by their first name. I then sat next to him and squinted against the bright sun and asked him why he had such a troubled face.
 "Well I just never knew what colors truly were I've never seen them , never experienced  them , they're just words to me. '' he said with sadness.  I did not know how to answer I couldn't  tell him ''It's okay Mr. Banks colors are just colors" because he had never seen them. I felt blue for Mr. Banks , then he asked me
 ''What is the color red like Miss?" I wasn't expecting him to ask me what a color was like so I said what first popped in my head "Red is a pigment.". Mr. Banks started laughing at me and  I felt very embarrassed at my response. Mr. Banks finally stopped laughing and asked "Is that it ? Is that all you could tell me?"
 " Umm I know red can not be smelled unless it is tomato soup , blood, paprika, or strawberries and I  am  sure you can't feel red unless it's a red rose , red hair ,  red car or red paint and  I think-"
 "Wait a second  is there no words you can use to describe it ?" he interrupted  impatiently
 " Uhh red can mean many things Mr. Banks  some people use red to represent anger , hate and  blood shed  or it can be used as a symbol of affection , love, romance ,prominence and victory. Red for me personally means integrity because the red  I have experienced has been positive in my life so far" I responded. Mr . Banks and I stayed quiet for a moment then he nodded squinting his eyes as if approving my response and said " I think I like red ha ha ha yeah red"  

No comments:

Post a Comment