Sunday, December 4, 2011

An issue of personal importance

When I lived in Arizona my sister and I got our first African American barbie doll , and I remember she was my favorite barbie ever. I noticed when ever my sisters and I played my sister Ross would not touch or even look at the African American barbie and I asked her why she wouldn't use barbie Claire and she said "I don't like black people". I remember being so furious and I was only nine years old , how could she just decide that she was only six at the time and already hated another race. I was so upset, I went to tell my mom and she was very upset as well , she said " how can hate on people of a different race, children don't usually see race." I just shook my head and walked out of the room. Then two years later we moved to California and Ross's racial issue had gone away for a while. Soon after we moved into the neighborhood the Rainey family moved just up the street from us , I was curious to meet the new family so I walked over to their house and saw them in their garage unpacking and I said  " Hi my name is Nazik ". They were African American and I couln't wait for my family to meet them because they were so nice and I was happy have more girls on the block. I had invited them to my house a week later and I told my mom " These are my new friends mom this is Lene and her sister Lonarias" my mom was happy that I made new friends and insisted that I invite them more often. When they had gone Ross asked me "Why were those ugly black people here? I don't like them." seriously her problem was back? I was so mad at her , how could she be so ignorant , so I sat her down and I excoriated her for about an hour. When I finally finished she was crying and hugged me and apologized to me and I said " Don't apologize to me , Lene and Lonarais heard what you asked me , you have to apologize to them." Ross went over to their house apologized and became their friend, ever since I made her realize how she was hurting people she stopped and now makes friends with every body.

No comments:

Post a Comment